Boarding a loft as a prelude to later conversion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I see the boarding a loft for beginners thread has been loacked so I'll start a new one.

Recently moved into a 1930s house (3 bed semi) and want to use the fair sized loft space. I want to fit a proper attic ladder and board out the space for now and in time, perhaps, go ahead with adapting it as a proper storage area/office or even going for planning and converting into another bedroom with velux etc.

So, how should I do phase 1? The current access is over the landing and I'l probably keep it here for now with an enlarged opening and loft ladder.

I want to board it out as the first step and I've seen the posts about using batons on the joists and laying boards on top. A builder mate has recomended this apporach and also using custom cut ply from wood yard instead of the chipboard loft boards from B&Q etc.

If I go with this, keeping the between joist insulation in place and so making the space "cold" will this form a reasonable basis for later full conversion adding velux, roof insulation, proper stairs, heating etc? Or will it be case of rip it up and start again?

I think the joists are pretty robust seeing as it's an old house but would it likely still require extra joists added to strengthen the floor is it was fully converted (I know, I'd need it properly looked at to be sure)?

Cheers for any advice!

Sponsored Links
It is unlikely the joists will be big enough to satisfy a habitable room. If you ever go to a loft conversion it will probably cost a lot more. But you can insulate, batten and board it as a storage loft fairly cheaply. While you're up there you might like to hoover it out, treat for woodworm, and thicken the insulation. I hope it is felted, if not you'll never be able to keep it clean.

How big are the timbers, and what length between the walls?

JohnD said:
It is unlikely the joists will be big enough to satisfy a habitable room. If you ever go to a loft conversion it will probably cost a lot more. But you can insulate, batten and board it as a storage loft fairly cheaply. While you're up there you might like to hoover it out, treat for woodworm, and thicken the insulation. I hope it is felted, if not you'll never be able to keep it clean.

How big are the timbers, and what length between the walls?

I was figuring as much. I'm just thinking that if I batten and board, impove access with a loft ladder, pretty soon MrsBT will start asking if we can make it habitable or get me to move my office up there.

Then we'd be into BR, PP adding a proper stairs, heating velux and insulating the roof. But if the floor was already right we wouldn't have to lift it all over again and add more timbers etc..

Not been back up to measure but I'll get up there this W/E if poss and report findings!

Plenty of insulation up there between the joists and the tiles have a plastic sheeting backing them. Sorry don't know the proper term :oops:

What ever you put up in your loft for storage etc.. it will have to be ripped up if you intend to convert your loft at a later date. to meet the regs. ;)

Sponsored Links
markie said:
What ever you put up in your loft for storage etc.. it will have to be ripped up if you intend to convert your loft at a later date. to meet the regs. ;)

Cheers Markie.

I think the idea of converting the loft may be a non starter - on closer examination and discussion with a builder mate - the gable end on the roof means major work to get enough space for a habitable room.

Still, for the sake of completeness I checked the joists and they are 3 by 2 and 15.5 inches apart...

Disatnce between walls circa 7 metres (sorry to mix my measurements).

I think batten and board may be the way forward and a house move when we need space if not an extension!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back