Boarding out loft including ceiling (Newbie)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've recently decided I want to make some better use of my loft space.

My plan was to lay floor boards and have an insulated ceiling with a Velux window.

I don't plan on a full loft conversion as it wont be used as a regular room apart from storage and a computer.

My question is really, would I still need to follow the building regulation's such as "Safely designed stairs to the new floor" (I plan on still keeping my loft ladder) or am I ok to go ahead and insulate the rafters and board the ceiling and floor?

Sorry if this has been asked before I did do a quick search before hand.

Thank's in advance :D

Sponsored Links
If it's only used for light storage you can do pretty well what you want with it without involving Building Control. But not with a fixed ladder, otherwise it becomes an additional storey.

You would need a FENSA for the velux, though.

And beware; building inspectors know their own patches and as they are driving past and see a velux, they think 'unauthorized loft conversion'. You might just get a knock on the door.

If it's only used for light storage you can do pretty well what you want with it without involving Building Control. But not with a fixed ladder, otherwise it becomes an additional storey.

You would need a FENSA for the velux, though.

And beware; building inspectors know their own patches and as they are driving past and see a velux, they think 'unauthorized loft conversion'. You might just get a knock on the door.

I won't be having a fixed ladder in place just your standard fold up loft ladder. I was planning on getting a FENSA certified fitter to install the Velux Window.

That's ok though as even if they did see that it has a window they will notice it's not a loft conversion when they enter the room?

So technically I'm ok to 'semi' convert it?

Thanks for your time :)

they will notice it's not a loft conversion when they enter the room?

One would hope that if the inspector called round unannounced, you would not even allow him into the house, let alone the room!!

Sponsored Links
I pretty much want to do this;

Without the sockets, separate rooms and stairs.

EDIT: Judging from my research it's just the same as boarding the loft up (Giving it a floor)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back