Boarding loft for storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What issues are involved when boarding a loft purely for storage?

This is in a new flat, the joists are solid and I have already put down some tongue and groove chipboard flooring and a loft ladder. There are still a few large areas to cover.

Firstly what's the deal with insulation?
It seems to be very thick, when boarding I removed some insulation as I didn't want to squash it too much between the boards and the ceiling below. Is this normal?

Also with regard to insulation what should be done when boarding over downlights (possibly Halogen) in the ceiling. I have removed any insulation that I felt was "too close" to them before boarding over. Can these be a fire risk?

I'm also planning to add another light or two, as there is currently just the one.

When doing work in the loft at what stage is one supposed to get things checked out by a professional and what are the legal implications of not doing so?

Cheers,
Olly

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back