Squashing loft insulation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently removed a water tank from the loft. The joists there are about 180mm height. I have rolls of 200mm insulation (basic wickes stuff). I know squashing loft insulation isn't a good idea, but will squashing 200mm into a 180mm gap make much difference? I don't want any danger of putting pressure on the ceiling below.

I am intending to then cross-joist, add more insulation and board, or use insulating boards. If the joists supported a water tank, they can take some light storage!

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Squashing glass wool insulation, simply forces out some of the air which is trapped within the insulations matrix, trapped air is what makes insulation work!
However, I wouldn't give it a second thought, just push it under ...pinenot :)

Squashing 200mm into 180mm is going to be minor, especially as you're adding extra on top anyway! I wouldn't worry about it.

Instead of using cross battening, I prefer using one of the newer ways on the market, eg Loftzone Storefloor or Loft Stilts. Both much faster and lighter (important if you're worried by your ceiling) than cross joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back