Boarding a loft

GG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to bopard out my loft to act as astaorage space and, possibly a part time office/studio. The house was originally built in 1939 and the joists appear to be sound. Does anyone have any hints, do I need to change joists, fit extra noggins etc.?

Sponsored Links
The joist you're talking about are normally 4"x2" which is okay for loft storage etc,but for extra weight you'll need bigger joist which run along the side of the 4"x2" depending on room span and must rest on the wallplate.If you're having staircase then you will need building regulation.

I would invest in insulating it all out properly - there are many sites which will show you how, but do leave air flow between uour roof and the insulation - and make sure there is an openable window. Lofts are very cold in the winter, hot and stuffy when the sun shines, not nice to work in.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest when you fix the plasterboard you use a pair of Boardmate Board Support Tools a sepacil to act as an extra hand when putting up all kinds of board. Visit website www.boardmate.com where it tells you all about it and you can buy online. There is also a very good streaming video of plasterboard being fixed in various situations including sloping ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back