Boarding above a bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Got an upstairs part of our house that extends out over a bay window downstairs. Above the bay and so on the underside of the room above there is a cement type board that has been damaged by a tree in the past. We will shortly be having the bay window replaced and so would like to replace this boarding at the same time.

The property was built in 1985 so I'm aware there's a small chance the board could be asbestos so have taken a sample and will be getting it tested. Assuming the board is not asbestos (and therefore I'll replace it myself), what material is normally used to replace these types of panels? Ply? The finish will just be painted. If it is asbestos then I'll be looking for someone else to do it I guess!

Couple of pics attached which show the bit at the front of the house with the overhang and another showing the board from above whilst the floorboards were up to remove remnants of said tree above!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-25 at 21.06.17.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-25 at 21.06.17.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 149
  • Screenshot 2021-01-25 at 21.06.55.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-25 at 21.06.55.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 160
Sponsored Links
Board is now confirmed as not Asbestos, which is good, but means I'll be needing to replace this. Current board is quite fibrous, not something I think I've seen before. Any suggestions for replacement material gratefully received. It's not really exposed to the elements at all so I assume exterior grade ply would suffice?

Additional pic shows it better.

Thanks.

IMG_0490.JPG

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back