Boarding and plastering a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have a builder coming monday to put new plasterboard up on my ceiling and skim the whole living room.

I am having new plasterboard due to the condition and the artex on my old ceiling. Now the builder is going to tack the new plasterboard on top of the old stuff thats there which suit me due to the rubbish I would have to get rid of in a 27x15 foot room.

Is it ok to tack the new stuff on top of the old? I am sure the builder knows what hes talking about but I have heard that this is wrong and will lead to cracks in the ceiling.

Please leave your opinions, Thanks Shaun.

Sponsored Links
So long as the guy ensures he finds the joists and secures the new board through the old ceiling and into the joists then all will be ok.

just take note to ensure he tapes all the joints with scrim. i usually scrim over the screw heads as well but thats just me.

It’s also a good idea to position the new boards over any cracks in the old ceiling if you can as this is usually an indication of where the original boards butt & you don’t really want the butts in the new boards coinciding. This will reduce the chance of cracks re-appearing.

diyisfree and Richard C thanks for the quick response. Your replies are a relief to be honest. I will ask him to tape the joints up and find the joists to screw into.

Many thanks, Shaun.

Sponsored Links
Are you getting a builder in to do this work or a plasterer??

I will ask him to tape the joints up and find the joists to screw into.

If you tell him the above and he looks a little offended then it's probably a good sign that he actually knows what his doing.

If he goes "Oh yeah thanks, I hadn't thought of that" either he's humoring you or hasn't got a clue. If it's the latter I'd be asking him to leave and get a pro in to do it.

Are you getting a builder in to do this work or a plasterer??

I will ask him to tape the joints up and find the joists to screw into.

If you tell him the above and he looks a little offended then it's probably a good sign that he actually knows what his doing.

If he goes "Oh yeah thanks, I hadn't thought of that" either he's humoring you or hasn't got a clue. If it's the latter I'd be asking him to leave and get a pro in to do it.

Hes a plasterer that does more (extensions, loft conversions etc). HAs done alot of work for a friend who is VERY fussy so I am happy to use him.

Also he takes the **** out of me all the time so I will tell him how to his job a little to get him back ;)

Thanks again

overboarding is ok so long a whoever is doing it secures the new board tight to the old.

I am not a fan of overboarding but have done so specifically at the customers request.

i think it is better to rip down and replace escpecially if the ceiling is in any way unlevel which being artex probably will be.

i know it can be done but still i always advise to take down little effort lot of muck but better, stronger, safer in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back