Boarding / Blocking a Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am re-decorating my bedroom and have removed an old cement frame/tiled fireplace. This has left a very large opening with the open chimney. I also removed a flappy ventilation panel from above in the chimney. This was filled and the walls now completely plastered.

I have bought a new fireplace with an electric fire. Can i just board across the opening and cut a hole for the electric fire to sit into? Should i block the chimney or brick across the opening?

The chimney runs up the inside of the building and appears at the top for
a few meters. It has rooms surrounding it on the ground and 1st floor and on the 2nd floor a room on one side and a loft space on the other. The top couple of meters are exposed. Will this still suffer from condensation?

I own the flat but its leased so i can't make any changes to the buildings outside appearence. It was built in 1906. New chimney pots were fitted year before last and have to stay.

I do not want any vents in the room, i removed one because it looked terrible.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back