locating a fireplace opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have two chimneys and one fireplace in use. The in use one is central in the ground floor room with equal sized alcoves on each side with the chimney in the centre. The out of use one was clearly in the boardroom, but this is almost identical with equal sized alcoves. In the roof the chimney fills the end wall. The bedroom chimney needs a vent fitting but there is no clue as to where the fireplace should be. Floorboards are right over the room, clearly lade after the removal of the fireplace. Is there any way of locating the old fire place short of starting to demolish across the chimney?

Sponsored Links
it may sound obvious, but have you thought about removing some of the plaster to have a look?

No, mainly as I have no idea where to start to do so. Clearly the fire place must be on the side of the room away from the living room stack but that’s not much help! There is also the dual problem that walls are stone rubble, some 18-22 inches thick, and the plaster is not in good condition (and thick in many places) and its best to leave it alone as much as possible, as I have found else where. As a last resort I may have to try this but may well end up having to re do the plaster on the whole wall.

Each Fireplace would be central to the chimney breast, the lower flue will be angled out to pass one side of the fireplace above, in a three storey house the first floor flue is then angles out the other way and one will pass either side of the second storey fireplace.

Marvelous what you can hide in a brick chimney breast.

Sponsored Links
not true. On the ground floor of our house the fireplaces are central to the chimney breast. On the 1st floor, the fireplaces are offset.

IJWS15 said:
Each Fireplace would be central to the chimney breast, the lower flue will be angled out to pass one side of the fireplace above, in a three storey house the first floor flue is then angles out the other way and one will pass either side of the second storey fireplace.

Marvelous what you can hide in a brick chimney breast.

as ar as I recall when thebuilderput in a liner it went vertical reather tan angled. It was a very easy one to fit he told us.

I have only ever seen central fireplaces in old houses - even in my grans house (tied cottage) which was a converted stable (converted in the 30s).

How easy is it to look up from the bottom..

Look down from the roof...

Otherwise you need to knock off some plaster - then it will be obvious which bricks to take out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back