Boarding loft ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 30s semi with a traditional lathe and tile roof. The inside ceiling of the loft has felt between the ceiling joists, covering the back side of the tiles. We get a lot of stuff blowing into the loft space as the felt is in need of replacement.

I was thinking of screwing some thin plyboard to the underside of the ceiling joists instead to try and keep it a bit cleaner up there but am unsure if this would cause any condensation issues or other problems? We don't have any problems with that right now.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If a gap of at least 50mm between underside of roof and board is left for ventilation, I doubt you will have any adverse effects from what you are doing, a more cost effective method would be to fit either a polythene sheet or plasterboard over the rafters, rather than ply, as ply would be a more expensive material, unless you have cheap supply of it.

Sound like it should be fine then as the joist thickness is easily 50mm.

I'll check out the plaster board option.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back