Bracing Ceiling Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm replacing an old lath and plaster ceiling in my 1920's house, with insulation boards skimmed with plaster.

Having taken the old ceiling down I can now see the ceiling joists are only 3x2" with an 11' span, and in the centre are easily pushed (bounced) up and down with one finger.

The loft space is too small to be used as a room, but I will be getting up there to put insulation down, light storage, and general access to the underside of the roof. If the ceiling joists bounce that much aren't they just going to crack all the plaster off? Does it need bracing o will it be fine?

I think the roof is a hip roof with gable end? it has purlins and the ceiling joists are ties I suppose.

Sponsored Links
Buy some 3x2" timber as long as you can get in the loft while you have it open and some 5" screws, lay the 3x2" on top of the ceiling and put a couple of screws in each ceiling joist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back