3x2 ceiling joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple really, will it be safe to walk on 3x2 joists that run for max 4m. Ceiling is lath and plaster. This is purely to allow the installation of further timber to support supplementary insulation and a floor.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes it will be ok.

provided that that you haven't had to have the loft hatch specially widened........... :eek: :cool: :LOL:

it may be wise to spread the weight over a few joists with a board or two, just as a precaution.

thanks, loft hatch has been widened, but due to its postion it is pretty secure. IE close to supporting walls and timber.

Someone has been up there before to install the current insulation, but they could have just been lucky....and I'm rarely lucky :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Simple really, will it be safe to walk on 3x2 joists that run for max 4m. Ceiling is lath and plaster. This is purely to allow the installation of further timber to support supplementary insulation and a floor.

Thanks

May I ask what size counterbattens you are going to use?

I am doing the same job on what sounds like the same age house (3x2 joists, lath and plaster)

Luckily didn't have to make the loft hatch larger as the standard Wickes (Youngmans Spacesaver??) ladder fits :D . Part of the hatch is buried in the stud wall that divided the back bedroom providing a corridor to the bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back