How to safely turn my loft into a work space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to be up in my loft with a small work bench hand tools and some storage. I have installed a loft ladder, acro propped the ceiling up and pinned the joists to the purlings with 3x2 and want to know if is safe to board out.

I have 3x2 joists at 16" to 17" centers. They are all now pinned to the purlings with 3x2. There is a main supporting wall just off center. the space I am using is 4m by 2.6.. Purlings are 3" x 11"

I have attached a picture so you can get a better idea. If this is safe how can i get a flat surface for boarding out and would you use chipboard sheets and then t and g flooring.. Not sure if it will add too much weight and strengthen it.

Thanks in advance for your help. :D [GALLERY=media, 52619][/GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
It 'll be ok for light storage but I can't help thinking with only 3" joists if you put a work bench up there you'd better keep a brush and shovel in the room below to shovel up the plaster.
The position you took the picture from, is there a solid wall underneath ? If there is I'd be looking at supporting an independant floor off it and the wall in your photo.

Hi Thanks for your reply. yes there is a brick wall behind where i took the picture. What if I was to fit 4" x 2" across (following the old joists) but higher fixed to the 3 x 2 that I have fitted that run down from the purlings? And timber underneath the new 4 x 2 to the supporting walls? they are 10" and 46" from the left of the hatch.. The work bench will only be a light table.. Its more electronic that I will be doing.

Cheers

Yes you are going along the right lines and it would stiffen up the floor. I'd fix the 4x2's with screws and possibily glue too and try to get the timbers that run between the walls as deep as is practical , say 7 inches or so and hang the 4x2's with straping.

Sponsored Links
Hi, That good to hear. I will be screwing them and could glue them.. Just not sure what you mean with the timbers that run in the wall being as deep as possible.. Do you mean the two purlings? Or do you mean fit new ones? :confused:

Yes fit new ones and support on hangers from the wall we can see and on pads from the wall behind the camera.

how many would you say from the wall? 2 running the full length?

I will have the 9 running width ways with the old joists you saying to screw them to the side of the verticals or use joist hangers from the front?

Also what are pads? Sorry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back