Wanting to use my loft for storage. 3x2" joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, due to my bco demanding i build a fire safe corridor in my living room i have decided to knock the full scale loft conversion on its head. However i am a keen guitarist and i would like to use the loft as my music room/guitar storage room. The loft joists are 3x2 and are connected to the roof by vertical timbers.

i have ordered some 5x2 joists which i am going to fix (using joist hangers) into the gable ends and then hang the existing 3x2 off these.

As far as the flooring goes i have some t and g whitewood flooring left over which i can use.

How would you reccomend i strengthen the exdisting 3x2. youre advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
sorry i forgot to say that the new joists (2of) would be at 90 degrees to the 3x2, these would basicaly be supporting the 3x2 by means of hangers as the roof is currently.

Thanks
Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back