LOFT FLOOR HEADACHE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:rolleyes:
I want to use my loft as a small office,the existing joists are 3x2 which span front to back approx 16ft.There is a load bearing wall in the centre.Can I fix new 3x2 joist on top of the old (running opposie way)and attach 2x2 uprights onto the purlins to give it extra strength.

Your help would be much appreciated....

Sponsored Links
Yes as long you don't go overboard, as in what you put up there ( weight ) ps don't cut/take out anything out which is there already.

foxed said:
I want to use my loft as a small office,the existing joists are 3x2 which span front to back approx 16ft.There is a load bearing wall in the centre.Can I fix new 3x2 joist on top of the old (running opposie way)and attach 2x2 uprights onto the purlins to give it extra strength.

hhheeelllooo foxed and welcome :D:D:D

as long as you realise you should have planning permision and the work your suggesting would'nt pass building regs then yes the measures you suggest would allow moderate increase in load

what i am actualy saying is if you later want a full loft convertion the work youve all ready done would have to be ripped out and done again properly for your loft convertion to be "signed off"

big-all said:
foxed said:

as long as you realise you should have planning permision and the work your suggesting would'nt pass building regs then yes the measures you suggest would allow moderate increase in load

what i am actualy saying is if you later want a full loft convertion the work youve all ready done would have to be ripped out and done again properly for your loft convertion to be "signed off"

just being nosey, so how would suggest it should be done if you later want a loft conversion?

Cheers,

Paul

Sponsored Links
install 8 by2" beside the present joists secured properly each end to the wall then secure old to new to support the ceiling

Paul_GPvR said:
just being nosey, so how would suggest it should be done if you later want a loft conversion?
The most common are 8"x2" but some BCO will not allow it depending on the type of footings, weight stress load calulation, I had to use 9"x3" joists for my loft conversion :eek: :cry:

masona said:
Paul_GPvR said:
The most common are 8"x2" but some BCO will not allow it depending on the type of footings, weight stress load calulation, I had to use 9"x3" joists for my loft conversion :eek: :cry:

Wow thats some serious wood. Cheers for that chaps.

How did you go about getting them into your loft, was that a prob?

thanks

Paul_GPvR said:
How did you go about getting them into your loft, was that a prob?
Made the loft trap bigger and moved the water tank plus a swear box :mad:

The other way is to remove first row of roof tiles and slide it in.

40 x 6m length :mad:

BCO made me bolted 3 of them together for a trimmer around the spiral stairwell :cry:

Paul_GPvR said:
big-all said:
foxed said:

Cheers,

Paul

To do the job by the regs you would most probably need steel beams running the width of your loft into the brick work, then the new floor joist hung off the beams by means of infills bolted into the web of the beams.

Thanks I wont be making it into a proper conversion in the future.Also if I decide to sell it will only be advertised as an attic.I only intend to have desk chair and pc,shelves nothing too heavy

Thanks I wont be making it into a proper conversion in the future.Also if I decide to sell it will only be advertised as an attic.I only intend to have desk chair and pc,shelves nothing too heavy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back