Stud walls in loft, fix to joist directly or through flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to build some studwork around the top of my loft stars to form the landing and a dividing wall.

Should I be lifting the floor and fixing the 3x2 directly to the joists or should I be leaving the floor and fixing through the 22mm chipboard and I to the joists?

Sponsored Links
It's going onto a joist presumably not the board that's spanning between joists? If you ever need to lift the chipboard it will be a bugger to do. Anyway you already know the right way.

It's a doubled 8x2 below the floor.

So take the floor up then? It's not fixed anyway yet. Think it best if I add a 2x1 to the side of the joists so the floor has a bit more to sit on?

Sponsored Links
As Freddys said, if you're worried about ongoing maintenance, then fit to the joist, and add the 2x1 and fit the floor. If you think everything will be okay, then fit the floor, and then build the stud wall.

If you think how a normal house is constructed, then you build the walls first, and then fit the flooring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back