Boarding Loft - Roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When standing inside my loft, the roof tiles are bare and are the only thing between the inside of the loft and the outside. It makes the loft area very cold and drafty, which tends to blow an awful lot (and I mean a LOT!) of dust around.

Is this usual? I have been contemplating putting up boards between the wooden beams that run up the roof to add an extra layer between the inside of the loft and the roof tiles. I then thought of putting insulation inbetween the two... effectively insulating the roof. Is this good practice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Best to leave it alone providing you have good ceiling insulation, I have used pegboard sheets behind the rafter which seem to control the dusts and it's still ventilated, you can get breathable membrane sheet instead if your worry about the dust. It's very important to have plenty ventilation in the roof area.

masona - thanks for the reply.

can you tell me more about the materials you have mentioned - pegboard sheets and breathable membrane sheets. what are they and where could i get them? thanks again

Pegboard is made of hardboard in difference sheet sizes with holes and it's 3mm thickness available from most timber or builder merchants

The breathable membrane available roofing merchants or most builder merchants, a bit like roofing felt

Sponsored Links
apologies if i'm being dim, but if the pegboard has holes in it will it make a lot of difference? or are they very small holes?

Matt, unless you have a use for the loft space, you are best leaving the tiles and rafters alone. If its very cold up there, the insulation is doing its job. However, if you think you are losing heat into the loft and then out through the roof, you only need to put more wool down. Everything I store in my loft goes into a bin liner then a cardboard box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back