Boarding my loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im just about to start work on my loft. Ive read alot of posts on here that suggest cross battons in the loft and then placing the boards on top of them.

Im just wondering if i should do this way as its gonna create more weight in the loft. My house was built in the 1930s and has 4"x2" beams, these are spaced every 15" and the loft size is 20ft by 18ft.

Will it be ok to cross batton with something like 3"x2" or should i just put the 18mm chipboard straight down on the existing battons?

Thanks in advance

Mick

Sponsored Links
Depends what you're using it for. If for light storage, just put some chipboard down, unless you want to increase the depth of insulation. As another room, the existing joists will be far from adequate.

Its going to be for light storage, but i probably will put some more insulation down. It should als make things easier for me with the electrical cables etc. Will it hold the extra weight of the battons ok?

The cross battens will weigh next to nothing, and will do more good than harm.

Sponsored Links
Cross battons it is then. Ive had everything delivered today. The chipboard sheets are some weight lol. Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back