Boarding out a loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forum newcomer here. I'm currently renovating a 1930's terrace house. The ceilings are lath and plaster and fairly fragile but the interior surfaces have been skimmed/plasterboarded to improve the surface. I want to board out the loft and am wondering if I can use Hardboard rather than tongue and groove chipboard as it will only be used for storage and service access. If so what thickness would you recommend? I don't want to add too much extra weight to the loft area so I am looking for a lightweight and cheap solution.

Cheers fellas.

Sponsored Links
Loft boards/panels with T&G not only help the system lock in nice and tight but also offer a bit more rigidity where the joints are.
But if you did decide to use another type of board it would not be hardboard for too flexible and will not support much weight, and will likely give you a false sense of security with it being there and can see a foot going through your nice new ceiling.
The only other thing I would consider using would be 18mm ply.
TBH
Can't see there would be much cost saving though, stick to the loft panels.

just buy a few packs of 18mm loft boards.
silly but start by loft access and use screws,never hammer.
use screws from screwfix, they are called floor-tite screws 4.2 x 55
these are the best screws to use with a battery screwdriver,they go in a real treat,they have saved me hours upon hours.no need for pilot or countersink.
these screws will make your life easy.

good luck

Cheers fellas. Good advice much appreciated. Hoping for a cheaper option but T&G panels will probably be cheaper than re-doing the ceilings later!!

Sponsored Links
If you get the chance, look for 18mm WBP (outdoor) 18mm ply. I got some 8x4 sheets from Wickes for about £25 each recently (I bought 5+ sheets)

B&Q was about double the price.

You will have to cut them into 8x2 to get them through the hatch, but they are much stronger, rigid, and long-lasting. May also be a bit lighter.

As it is strong and rigid, it does not need to be T&G, as long as you screw to noggins at the short edges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back