boarding out loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there are 10000s of topics regarding this already but basically I cannot find the answer to my question.

What I would like to know is (please see pic) can I attach beams to the highlighted beams in this pic to create a raised storage area (would just be 2 beams with a single row of t and g chipboard on it to place stuff on and very occasionally walk on)
If not what else can I do as all the rest of the joists are completly covered with itchy insulation so I do not know how thick or deep they are or the centres. Any info would be much appreciated :)

Forgive me if this is a double post but the 1st post seemed to vanish :S View media item 59678

Sponsored Links
Also would like to add that the house is a 1930s council house.. would it really be a case of wrapping up and removing the insulation and increasing the depth of the ceiling joists and if that is the case if i just strengthen the bit inbetween the two highlighted beams would that not just weigh down the ceiling even more?

As like the purlins above these cross ties, are these built into the walls both sides, and do they run full length of the loft. Also what depth are these ties i.e. whats under that insulation that can't be seen...pinenot

they are built into the wall at one end but then rest on the wall at the other end as we are an end terrace.. I have not looked what is under the insulation as it is horrible and itchy.... the beams highlighted are about 7 x 2 inches

Sponsored Links
The 7x2s are probably binders intended to support the ceiling joists.
Whether or not they would be capable of supporting much additional load depends on how the binders are supported and where the load is applied.
Unless you are prepared to get your hand itchy you're not going to know what's going on with your ceiling.

there are 3 sets of 7 x 2.. the 2 highlighted.. then the two above and then another square frame above that made from 7x2..

I'll have a look and move the insulation... can I just deepen the joists inbetween these two highlighted beams?

well the binders are built into the wall on one side then rest on the two walls where the stairs are.... running parallel to the binders is the partition wall between the front and back bedroom

For the purpose of your original posting i.e. 2 beams topped with t&g chipboard flooring for storage and occasional foot traffic, I can see no problems with fixing to these ties. For any further ambitions on your part I think you need to realize this ties were not chosen for implied loads, rather suspended loads and positional binding, anything other than this would require further consideration, from both the technical and regulation concerns...pinenot

implied loads,

Get it right! you mean IMPOSED loads :LOL:

Generally, accessible loft ceiling joists are sized to support an imposed load of 0.25kN/m^2, which is about 5lbs/sq foot. If the ceiling joists are well-nailed to those 7x2s, OP should be OK with locally deepened joists and thin chipboard bridging.

these ties look massive and span across 3 huge walls... don't know why you are talking regulations as boarding out a loft doesn't need them... I have decided just to put another 2 2x7 beams up there and fixing them to the wall at the far end and resting them on the 2 walls either side of the stairs... that way I can just board out everything in between but it seems that this may be a little over engineered. The beams holding up the roof already seem totally over engineered compared to other lofts I have seen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back