Boarding out the loft space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a property in a conservation area is planning permission required to do this ?

A friend of mine seems to think it isn't but I'm unsure. Assuming that new structural joists would be fitted up in the loft space as the existing joists are extremely old and frail and unable to take any weight. Boarding would then go on top.
The individual wants to store up there so no services will be run, but they want the option of converting the loft into a proper living space at a later date without the joists having to be redone.

Building regs required at the very least ?

Increase in council tax ?

Thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
For a property in a conservation area is planning permission required to do this ?

A friend of mine seems to think it isn't but I'm unsure. Assuming that new structural joists would be fitted up in the loft space as the existing joists are extremely old and frail and unable to take any weight. Boarding would then go on top.

[HERE]
The individual wants to store up there so no services will be run, but they want the option of converting the loft into a proper living space at a later date without the joists having to be redone.

Building regs required at the very least ?

Increase in council tax ?

Thoughts ?

I would suggest that up to [HERE] then no official bodies need to be consulted.

If and when he/she wants to convert it to an habitable room, then the structure would need to be inspected and BC involved.

The loft boarding doesn't require anything, however it appears that they are using the boarding out as a way of circumventing the rules of making it a living space, this will at the very least need building regs sign off, and they will need to prove the joists have been strengthened and fire regs to adhere to.

As it's in a conservation area they will need to likely apply for planning as they will need a velux or something

The loft boarding doesn't require anything, however it appears that they are using the boarding out as a way of circumventing the rules of making it a living space, this will at the very least need building regs sign off, and they will need to prove the joists have been strengthened and fire regs to adhere to.

As it's in a conservation area they will need to likely apply for planning as they will need a velux or something

It's a friend of a friend.
No I don't think they are trying to pass one thing off as the other as they don't need the room. It's a storage option. I'm interested for my own sake as I'm trying to understand the rules. I would think that a habitable space would require planning, building regs and would likely require a new council tax valuation, but I could be wrong about the last one ?

My understanding would be that new joists work would be installed above the existing as the existing are too old to.take weight. Where fire regulations come into that I'm assuming someone is looking at or has factored in.
By ''strenthened'' I'm assuming this is what you are implying.

Is a velux required for planning permission ? Can the area not be left with no natural light ? Genuine question as I have no idea.

Sponsored Links
If it's left as a loft it's fine no permission required.

If it gets converted as you mentioned there will be a host of things they will need to do.

I have been looking into this for a while.
My aim was to make my loft into a useable storage room, built to a standard that would allow full conversion at some point in the future.
I found that the idea of a loft 'storage room' is acceptable, but a very grey area with building control.
A lot may depend on the amenability of your BC officer.
As soon as you start adding new joists, a floor, maybe a velux and some boarding out, it very quickly starts to look like a habitable space to BC (and BC do usually have to be involved with roof structure work such as velux installs).
I've given up on the idea of building to a standard that could be converted, but instead will upgrade the joists, accepting that if I am to convert in the future, this work may have to be redone.
There is a fascinating YouTube channel, 'Build it with Rob' that shows many of their loft conversion and storage room builds, that might be worth a look:

Tidy job in the video, but anything stored up there will get damp due to the lack of ventilation.

Tidy job in the video, but anything stored up there will get damp due to the lack of ventilation.
Yep, I have noticed that on a few of their videos. There was one where they line the loft space in polythene and you think... Hmmm :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back