Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
1st time I've posted on here so hoping someone can help.....

I'm an enthusiastic moderate DIYer looking to install a new ensuite.
I have the new suite which includes a concealed 2-way diverter thermostatic shower valve, one of these rain-drenching shower heads and 6 body jets.

I have a few questions....
What is the best way/configuration to install the body jets (I have heard it's not as easy as I might have thought). I've heard about a loop, h-configuration etc, but really not sure if it's simple enough to do myself or best to have a plumber involved.
As a relative newbie to plumbing, can I use plastic or copper push fit to install the shower and body jets or is this to much of a compromise and should i be using copper and solder?

The system will be gravity fed. The pressure is fine just now for a standard shower head, but will I need a shower pump for the rain drench shower head (approx 20cm) and body jets. If so, what bar should I opt for? I'm thinking either 2 or 3 bar, but will there be much difference to choose between the 2 or 3 bar?

Got loads more questions, but that should get me going just now.

Thanks in advance

Rich

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for reply.

Not sure of capacity, but it's about 90cm high and 50cm diameter.

So your six body jets will empty you hot water cylinder in about 3 minutes (thats just a guess ) but if you want that kind of setup you will need to upgrade the supply side.

Sponsored Links
I doubt I'll be installing a new cylinder.

Would you suggest not installing the body jets? - I didn't realise they were such a consumer of water.

At the moment, we have 2 adults and 3 young kids in the house and don't seem to run out of hot water.

The body jets were just a nice to have, so if they are going to cause lots of other probs, I'd rather not bother with them.

Your hot water cylinder holds approx 120lts of hot water , a fairly standard rain head shower will run 20litres per minute @2 bar, so a third cold and two thirds hot gives you 13.5 lpm hot and 6.5lpm cold , that gives you a nine minute shower (probably a bit less) before you run the cylinder cold, thats if the cistern in the loft is big enough.

If I didn't bother with the body jets, would I still need a pump for the rain head shower, or would the gravity fed system still work OK in your opinion?
I really don't want the additional cost and work to fit a larger hot water cylinder.
I think the cold water tank in the loft will be sufficient - its huge.

Thanks

Most modern fitting are designed for high pressure water systems, I doubt your rain head shower will be satisfactory but you could fit it and see if its acceptable without a pump.

Ok, the 2 options seem to be then...

1. Rain head shower and body jets (already bought) with a shower pump, but probably need a larger hot water cylinder

2. Change the rain head shower for a standard head, omit the body jets and don't bother with a pump, therefore no need for a bigger cylinder.

Have I got this right?

Thanks for your help. More to consider than I thought!

If you get it wrong...

its quite a big project to upgrade the plumbing to cope with body jets/rain head showers, not one for the average diyer, maybe option 2 would be better for you .

Thanks again. This conversation really has helped a lot.
....time for some reflection and expectation management :)

Ive got x4 body jets running in conjunction with a my aqualisa shower valve

Unless your punching in excess of 20ltres per minute I wouldn't bother.

Mine dosent and its a waste of brass.

If your going to put a Stuart Turner Monsoon big pump behind it then that's a different matter. Make sure you have at least 50gal tank in the roof and a big cylinder because a 36x18 wont cut it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back