Boiler and pump settings......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking through general threads regarding pump speeds and boiler settings on here, it seems that there are differing opinions and I wonder if there is an accepted practice for the settings or is it boiler/system dependant? I've read posts saying that you should run your pump on the lowest speed setting yet I've read others saying a low speed setting will not push enough water through your heat exchanger and will lead to long term damage. Also, I've read that running the boiler on its maximum output will cause damage and others saying the opposite. My boiler also runs the pump for 5 mins each time it reaches temperature before shutting down - someone on here (I forget who) said they always adjust that on Vaillant boilers for 7 minutes minimum. Who's right and who's wrong? I'm confused.

I have a Vaillant ecotec plus 418 heat only boiler, indirect hot water, grunfoss three speed pump, 10 rads (2 bedrooms unoccupied so rarely run all 10) in a reasonably well insulated house. One potential installer of my boiler (British Gas) calculated that 15Kw was all I needed to replace my aging 60,000BTU boiler, another said swap like for like, one said get 18Kw in case you expand the system but run it at 15Kw). At the moment, I'm running it at 15kw, I also have the pump on speed number 1. It works fine but I'm just wondering if I am doing any long term damage. Also, on my max output settings, it goes from 5Kw to 18Kw plus there is an 'Auto' setting. What's that for if the boiler modulates?

Glad to listen to what you all have to say, just trying to find out what's best or will this turn into a 'best boiler' type post? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Well, after 92 views and no replies, I can safely assume that 92 others on here are as clueless as me lol. I'll leave it as it is. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back