Boiler and system uprgade- Advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler broke down last week with no hot water and heating. Think i have worked out the problem but thats as far as i go. BG have quoted £2 a month membership and a fixed fee of £127 to fix it. Seems ok to me.

However the boiler has only an on/off switch with no timer or termostat, so basically when the heating is on its on full whack which is using a lot of energy meaning higher bills and unwanted heat in parts of the house. So whilst im getting the above fixed im thinking of getting the neccessary equipment installed but not sure which is best.
A timer i want to get the heating on before we wake up or babies bath time etc. Though im stuck with the thermostat. Ideally would i need one for the boiler/heating itself and thermostatic valves on the rads or will just having the valves on the rads be sufficient as if set correctly to ideal heat there would be no need for the main heating/boiler one.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Boiler broke down last week with no hot water and heating. Think i have worked out the problem but that's as far as i go. BG have quoted £2 a month membership and a fixed fee of £127 to fix it. Seems ok to me.
What do you think the fault is? You may be able to repair it yourself, provided it is not a gas related problem. Do BG guarantee to fix the problem for £127.

You definitely need more than just an on/off switch on the boiler. The wasted money going up the chimney in smoke will pay for the components within a few months.

What you need depends on what boiler you have. If it's a combi, then all you need is a programmable thermostat, eg a Honeywell CM900 series. But if you have a system or regular boiler with a hot water cylinder and motorized valves, you will also need a timer and cylinder thermostat to control the hot water.

If you have a really old system with pumped heating and gravity hot water you will either have to convert it to fully pumped, or you can change it to a C plan system, which gives independent control over the hot water times and temperature.

You need a room thermostat as well as thermostatic valves as TRVs do not turn the boiler off when the rooms are up to temperature.

Thanks. I have a combi boiler.

The fault is something to do with the PCB or transformer. I dont want to buy one or the other and find out the problem is the other one etc. Both parts are around the £130 mark so seems reasonable. The say they will fix it on a no fix no fee basis. All call out, parts, labour up to £600 are all in. They are basing it on £45 an hour labour so unless the job takes about 6 hours i should be ok, otherwise i will be telling him dont want it.

So basically i need a programable thermostats for the boiler, room thermostat and TRV's for the rads?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So basically i need a programable thermostats for the boiler, room thermostat and TRV's for the rads?
No. You just need a programmable room thermostat (e.g Honeywell cm900 series) and TRVs on all rads except the one for the room where the thermostat is located.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back