Boiler Change - BAXI or Potterton

Sponsored Links
The price is boiler only.

Homeserve gave me a price of just over a £1000 for a 24kw ideal boiler fitted. I feel that a 24kw is too small it is a very decent sized 2 bed house. Also the Ideal only has a two year guarantee.

It will heat the house ok....it's the hot water that can be an issue with 24kw boilers. How many taps? does it run the shower/bath??

Difficult to say without being there....you need to get advice on sizing from your fitter. 24kw might be ok.....its fine in one of my places with a similar size property.

Sponsored Links
It's only £60 more for the 28kw.

I will give Baxi a call in the morning and see what they say. You never know, they may match the offer Homeserve have given me - I'd much rather have a boiler with a 7 year guarantee than a two year one. One thing for sure, the monthly payments are being set aside instead of paying monthly for a service/maintenance contract. Swindling b*ggers!

Just one more question - anyone know of a cheaper supplier than Mr Central Heating/Ultimate Heating?

Plumbcntre are cheaper than that price for duotec you have for anyone walking in off the street ,
also by sticking to baxi potterton it will fit straight back onto existing jig with small alteration to flue hole

@B.C.S
I would expect Baxi would replace the main heat exchanger on fixed price repair.
Homeserve should do it but I'm not surprised they are saying they won't

The Duotec is only 800 in screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/p/baxi-duo-tec-28-28kw-combi-boiler-erp/2228H?kpid=2228H&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product Listing Ads-_-Sales Tracking-_-sales tracking url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping - Heating and Plumbing-_-Shopping - Heating and Plumbing&gclid=CIbm562chc0CFdMV0wodcmsOpQ

So you had a Baxi that died after 8 years and you want to replace it with another Baxi? :LOL:

The Rapid that Muggles pointed you at is a better boiler in every respect and the heat exchangers don't fail!

I've never heard of Rapid before so I'm going to steer clear of that.

My preferred boiler has for many years been Vailiant. The house is going to be sold in 2 to 3 years so we are looking at price and length of warranty. If Baxi can't fix it - we will probably just switch over to the Duo-tec.

Not a bad price at Screfix - The price at Mr Central Heating is for a boiler change pack and includes a flue and magnaflow etc.

Vaillant is not the brand it used to be. Brutal and relentless cost-cutting has seen quality drop down several notches. Prices remain high. I used to fit nothing else but have not fitted a single one now for about four years. Baxi Duotec is sound. Mr centralheating is good too. Who is fitting your purchase?

Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's no good. Intergas have just won Product Of The Year at the industry H&V Awards - Baxi weren't even finalists. Warranty is the same length as the Baxi if you pay the extra £125, and you'll get a boiler that is simpler to work on and cheaper to run if you go for an Intergas.

Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's no good. Intergas have just won Product Of The Year at the industry H&V Awards - Baxi weren't even finalists. Warranty is the same length as the Baxi if you pay the extra £125, and you'll get a boiler that is simpler to work on and cheaper to run if you go for an Intergas.

I'm not saying they are no good, just simply that I haven't heard of them.

Fair enough, suit yourself, you can lead a horse to water...just seems an odd logic - "I've not heard of it, so I'm not going to bother to find out whether it's any good, I'm just going to reject it out of hand because it's not previously entered my bubble"

Fair enough, suit yourself, you can lead a horse to water...just seems an odd logic - "I've not heard of it, so I'm not going to bother to find out whether it's any good, I'm just going to reject it out of hand because it's not previously entered my bubble"

You are being silly. I've just read up a bit on the product. It does sound good and some of the boiler have 10 year warranty.

The main reason I won't go with the company is my husband has the final say - it's his rental property and his money. He is more cautious than me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back