Boiler choice + couple of others

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, decided to roll my sleeves up and fit a combi-driven central heating system myself (except for the corgi gas connection bit).

First question:- Has anyone got any "golden tips" I should pay heed to whilst doing this job? I've some plumbing experience but not loads. :confused:

I've found a website selling a heat pack for a good price. I want to upgrade the boiler though as I've not heard of "Sabre" - the one supplied as standard in the pack. I think I will go for a higher output one as well to get a decent hot water flow rate (100,000+ BTU's).

Second question:- Can anyone help me choose which boiler is the best from the following which are available as upgrades (all condensing of course :) ):-

Potterton Performa 30HE - 100k BTU (SEDBUK B)
Glowworm 30 CXi HE - 100k BTU (SEDBUK A)
Vokera Syntesi 35HE - 120k BTU (SEDBUK B)
Baxi 105E HE - 105k BTU (SEDBUK B)

I'm going to be driving 7 rads in a 3 bedroom terraced house with double glazing and some loft insulation which I will be upgrading.

I will appreciate any input/advice. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Of the boilers you list Id personally go for the Vokera....but what ever you get avoid the glow worm.

I agree harrow
The baxi 105 aint a bad bolier, just avoid the instant version as the expansion vesseles tend to go

Do you have a CORGI peep to commision it for you?

Sponsored Links
pierrot said:
8) Avoid the glow-worm, for a modern boiler the design is absolutely appalling.

Ditto avoid it like the plague. I personally loath the ****ing things.

:) Just out of curiosity what is so bad about the glowworm CXI. I have fitted quite a few, even got one myself.

Look forward to the replies

gasman said:
:) Just out of curiosity what is so bad about the glowworm CXI. I have fitted quite a few, even got one myself.

Like wise i have fitted 1 CXI, and yes easy to fit, but im going on fault finding, on the older models.

I have found,,, well the ones iv worked on have numerous, inconsistent faults occurring.

When iv spoke to tech people, there non the wiser.

Maybe its me and Glowworm that just don't get on. :LOL:

gasman said:

Fortunately there's not many of them around here yet!

From experience
Although quite cheap and easy to replace, the filling valves go on them. The valve consists of a tiny plastic equivalent of a 'jumper nut' and a tiny O ring seal that pushes over it. If you come across one it is better to fit a conventional filling loop. They go when the owner tries to top the system up and jam in the off position.

From hearsay
I have also heard of a batch of 40 fitted on a site and four secondary heat exchangers have gone after just 12 months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back