Boiler Choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Were having a major extension and renovation. Currently have 230l hot water tank heated with 4 immersions.

We'd like to switch to something cheaper.

Whats currently considered the cheapest fuel? Oil or Gas.
We were thinking of getting gas bottles, but now think that may cost too much / run out too fast.

Are there any boilers that cater for LPG/Gas and Oil in one?

It'll be a 4/5 bed bungalow when done.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Mains gas is by far the cheapest. Then I belive it would be LPG a long way before getting to the price of oil.

If oil and LPG are your only options, and major renoovations are currently underway then its worth looking at air/ground source heating/solar hot water depending on your location with a small LPG boiler as a back up for the coldest/high use times.

But Id reckon Oil is almost never the cheapest/best option

You are a bit out of date.

Oil is 17% cheaper than Natural Gas at the moment. All the time the oil price is depressed and the gas price keeps rising, this will be the case.

Does ashp actually work out? I know manufacturers quote cops of 3.0 but is that actually achievable in reality?
And what about vibration and noise?
Last thing I want is to install a big jackhammer on the side of my house.

Sponsored Links
It works out in certain conditions, but it depends on your location, Under certain temperatures it simply cant work efficiently so it does depend on how cold it is for how long where you are.

As for noise, I have been told the newer models are not noticable inside the house but I;ve not worked with them myself.

As I say, the latest ones Ive seen combine a gas boiler for when the weather is colder to use the cheapest method at the time to heat your house, although they are initially more pricey, and generally only reccomended when you have a good level of insualtion in the property

This is the sort of thing Im talking about http://www.vaillant.co.uk/installers/products/arotherm-hybrid-system-3008.en_gb.html

As for oil price I had no idea it could be lower than gas, any customer I've ever spoke to that had oil always elplained how extortionatley expensive it was to run (but of course they were always EX oil users and as upto date as me apparently)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back