Boiler coming on and going off all the time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler is a Biasi Riva Compact M90e 24s

The problem is the boiler fires up and goes off whenever it likes and does this continuously, even when the thermostat isn't calling for heat. When the CH is on the boiler will fire up and after a few minutes it will turn itself off, re-fire, turn off, re-fire, turn off, re-fire until it finally cuts out and needs resetting.

I thought it was a dodgy stat so after replacing the room stat to no avail, i searched more.

I came across something on the internet saying it could be a thermistor, so I bought one of them here...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biasi-Riv...BI1001117-Thermister-Thermistor-/330848196169

I didn't realize there was 2 on the boiler so i just replaced the one near to the secondary heat exchanger and not at the diverter valve. After replacing this the boiler was great for 24 hours, didn't come on whenever it wanted, and didn't cycle on and off when we had the heating on, and didn't cut out. I thought this was then fixed.

After 24 hours it was back to randomly firing up!

Just thought before I buy another thermistor for the diverter valve side I'd post up to see if anyone had a definite solution.

It also apparently cuts out when just using the hot water only aswell. It's never happened to me but according to the other half it does.

Getting a new boiler around March time but it would be nice to be able to keep the heating on for at least 15 minutes at a time to get a bit of heat in the house for now, it's driving me crackers. I'm always turning it off at the fused spur when I'm not using it because I hear it going on and off on and off.

Boiler has also had a new actuator and external expansion vessel fitted next to it as the one inside the boiler has split.

Thanks!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back