Boiler confusion

Sponsored Links
A combi is sometimes cheaper than a system boiler. Sometimes it might be a few pounds dearer. I would prefer a combi as a belt and braces to run heat a cylinder as opposed to a system boiler.

What happens if he runs out of hot water. I have a client who has two boys that empty a 300l UV cylinder. His wife never complains because she still gets hot water in the kitchen and the utility room.

No where in this post is it suggested that the cylinder is unvented. A Y plan is perfectly suited for a standard application. While I am not for a second suggesting a Y plan be used on an unvented cylinder, Newblood I suggest you go look at a Vantage VIHC 120 cylinder.

If I was not sure of what I write, I would not post with useless information. What I have suggested above is operational, has even been checked (CORGI inspection) and BC notified, so assume nothing.

There's a certain amount of misinformation in this thread - hope you can sort it out!
You don't necessarily have to have a system boiler! There are (some) "heat only" condensing boilers without pressure vessels etc. You don't have to pressurise the heating system.

Bear in mind that if you did have a combi feeding say one shower, it would never run out of hot water - useful for some folk.

Sponsored Links
yeah there are loads of heat only boilers on the market, and loads of system boiler, what ever thats not the point, the point is no one in the right mind would specify a combi and a hot water cylinder, its stupid, one or the other. why go to the cost of buying a combi when you have a cylinder installed alreally ????? combi has more parts to go wrong, is anyone on here really qualified?? haha

When someone has his head up his a**e, no way he/ she is going to take on board what others are saying.

It is time I take leave of this tread as handbags are starting to swing.

Certainly quite a lot of misinformation here!

A combi is actually a very good way to provide the heating for radiators and a hot water cylinder.

1. Cost is virtually the same as a heat only boiler.

2. The hot water from the combi can be used for a mains pressure shower. That can run all day !

3. A cylinder has the backup heating by electricity should the boiler or gas supply fail.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back