help - no hot water & confused on size of new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
on monday we were greeted by a puddle of water in our dining room and quicky realised our hot water cylinder was leaking :( we've been quoted £500 to replace but we'd already been considering replacing our current system (gloworm micron 80ff with hot and cold water cylinders) with a combi for more efficiency and to free up space in the spare room and attic.

however, we are now sitting in a house with no heating or hot water as we are totally confused over what boiler to choose!!! we urgently need to make a decision as go on holiday in 3 weeks.

our house is a 4 bed semi with 2 bathrooms (1 bath, 2 mains fed showers) and 10 radiators. all the plumbers agree the new boiler can directly replace the existing one in the utility room (vents directly outside).

what the plumbers can't agree on is the size or type of boiler. the quotes range from a worcester 28i though vailliant, viessman up to a worcester 37cdi. surely at least the size of boiler we need should be more straightforward?

we don't want to get a boiler which is too small or pay for one which is too large for our requirements and are looking for a reliable make.

can anyone shed any light on at least the SIZE of boiler we should be looking to have?

thank you so much in advance. my brain hurts!

Sponsored Links
Most important part of your question is not mentioned: the quality of the installer.
Find a good one, and leave the whole thing to him.

If you want to use two bathrooms together then dont have a combi!

Search the forum and FAQs to read why.

Many are short of work at the moment and just want to do a cheap job for you without considering what your needs really are.

Tony

Sponsored Links
we are trying to take on the best installer we can but at the end of the day, they all sound totally convinced about what they are recommending but they can't all be right can they?!

also, we very rarely use the 2 bathrooms together. still an issue do you think?

Only needs a bit of legwork and elbow grease to find a great installer. Ask all friends, neighbours, colleagues for recommendations.

Provided you have a good incoming mains, a 40+ kW combi will give you 2 decent showers simultaneously

Stay far from any installer that heavily promotes cheap boilers.

all the plumbers we've had are recommends - pricing varies for the boiler + install by £1400 from one man band to british gas!!

worchests used to be really good boilers but ive personally found they have they are no wear near as good as they used to be so i would stay away from these, vismen boilers are mint but parts are expensive for them so id suggest the valiant for middle of the road am sure someone else will disagree but thats personal preference you will find between installers. With out seeing the size of the rads in the house a 32kw (832) would be more than enuff plus modern boilers will modulate down.

am a not a big an of the combi tho i prefer the cylinder system you have in now and would prop save money on your fuel bill with having a large water draw off. hope this helps :)

Personally I would replace your existing cylinder and a new heat only boiler.You won't have any issues with hot water flow, because nothings really changed, apart from better insulation on the cylinder and higher efficiency boiler. However if you have asked for a combi, then the higher the rating the better, 37cdi sounds ok - are they accredited installers able to give you 5 year warranties? Don't even attempt a 28i.

The combi/conventional cylinder debate is really a matter of personal preference.

Go for a combi if you like the idea, which I do.

Get a good make with built in weather compensation. A 35kW combi should run two reasonable showers.

Find yourself a good installer, who will clean the existing system thoroughly before the new boiler goes on the wall. I wouldn't employ anyone who couldn't spell the names of well-known manufacturers!

i don't think the ability to spell a boilers name has any bearing on there ability to do a good job or give good advice !

Bearing in mind the customer already has too many options, if you can't be bothered to check the spelling of the manufacturer you are staking your reputation on, your quote would see the bottom of the bin first.

You might be the best installer for 50 miles, but you would be deluding yourself to think the poor spelling would not put people off. It suggests you don't care, but I'm sure this isn't the case.

I still take the view that at least 24 kW is required to give a good and comfortable shower during the coldest weather.

In any case its unlikely you have a dynamic flow rate adequate for two good showers. But its easy enough for you to measure your open pipe flow rate which is about twice the dynamic flow. See FAQ.

If you can accept not using both showers together that thats irrelevant and any good combi of about 28-35 kW will do the job.

If I am looking for a good expert to do something for me then if I see anyone who cannot spell then it immediately puts me on guard. If they cannot be bothered or do not have the education to spell properly then they are unlikely to have the credentials I expect.

Anybody working with boilers should at least know how to spell their names or just have them written down on a card in their top pocket to copy when required. I would be seriously embarased if I could not spell the words I encounter in my work.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back