boiler cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all,

as i mentioned in an earlier post, I will be starting on bedroom 2 this month which unfortunately contains the combi boiler.

I want to make a cupboard for it for these reasons:

1. fire protection
2. noise
3. child proofing

because of this i will be building the cupboard out of two 30min fire doors (£5 eBay!), which should take care of the noise and fire issues. I will also fit some kind of lock.

I want to make the cabinet as small as possible (respecting minimum clearances etc, which I will hopefully find in the manual), but my question is:

should I make a big hole in the external wall and fit some kind of vent?

I will also fit seals all the way round to minimise any CO leak etc.

does anyone see any problem with me doing this?

thanks,

Jon

Sponsored Links
What does the boiler manufacturer advise? Normally on kitchen installs I tend to install false cupboards to cover boilers - and on thes it is necessary to remove both the top and bottom to meet the manufacturers' airflow requirememnt. So I'd expect there to be a requirement for a minimum air flow around your boiler - with vents at the bottom of the cupboard and the top being required. This is in part so you can't get a dangerous build-up of gas which cannot vent and dissipate.

Most modern balanced flue boiler are self contained and need no ventilation but you will need to be able to remove any obstruction for servicing the boiler.
I would fit a carbon monoxide alarm in the room.

What does the boiler manufacturer advise? Normally on kitchen installs I tend to install false cupboards to cover boilers - and on thes it is necessary to remove both the top and bottom to meet the manufacturers' airflow requirememnt. So I'd expect there to be a requirement for a minimum air flow around your boiler - with vents at the bottom of the cupboard and the top being required. This is in part so you can't get a dangerous build-up of gas which cannot vent and dissipate.

would the external air vent not solve that problem?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Most modern balanced flue boiler are self contained and need no ventilation but you will need to be able to remove any obstruction for servicing the boiler.
I would fit a carbon monoxide alarm in the room.

yep, fitted one when we first moved in, it baffles me that it was normal practice to put boilers where people sleep, for the noise as much as anything!

hmmm, i'll have to find that manual, hopefully I won't need to make a big hole in the wall...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back