Extractor fan in cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently refurbishing the dowstairs loo which has no extractor fan at present. I've already sussed out the wiring etc. (thanks to electrical forum). By far the best place to put the fan, in terms of cable routing and access to outside wall for venting, is in the wall of a large cupboard built into a recess at the back of the room.

The whole room is only 4' by 2'6" and the cupboard is 2' deep by 18" wide by 5' high.

Does anyone know whether it would be permissible to install the fan into the cupboard with an appropriate ventilation grille fitted between the cupboard and the toilet? This is a normal wall-mounted fan NOT an inline one, so would need to draw air initially from the cupboard, relying on the grille to carry the airflow from the toilet into the cupboard. I can't see any practical reason why the arrangement shouldn't work (the cupboard has no other openings to act as air inlets so would have to draw air from the toilet). I really just want to know if there are any regs which demand that the fan is placed directly in the room to be ventilated.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you just install the fan on the w.c. side and run the ducting through the cupboard to the outside?

Because this would mean mounting ducting onto cupboard door (door is full size of cupboard), and that stuff is not all that flexible. Much easier to mount grille through door.

Surely you just mount the fan immediately behind the door (independent of the door) and have a grille in the door?

Sponsored Links
... which would mean the fan was mounted inside the cupboard, hence my original question.

I don't really have any doubt that the arrangement would work - the cupboard is a relatively small fraction of the overall volume of the room and the fan is perfectly capable of shifting more than enough air. My concern, however, is whether there is any regulation which prohibits this setup.

My concern, however, is whether there is any regulation which prohibits this setup.

Probably, doubt BC would like it much - why not ask them? You're talking about regs etc. but are you using a registered electrician to do the wiring? They may not like to put it where you are stating.

What makes you think BC wouldn't like it? Do you mean from an electrical point of view or efficiency of ventilation? I would have thought that if the fan were capable of extracting the required volume of air from the toilet room, then the location of the fan would not really be of any consequence. However, I am also aware of how fickle the application of certain regs can be, which is why I'm asking for a bit of clarification from anyone who's been in a similar situation in the past.

Incidentally, I am carrying out the wiring myself. Nothing that I am carrying out is notifiable and all of it will comply with 17th edition. Wiring would be a tad easier with the fan in the cupboard but it would not be a huge deal to rearrange it if absolutely necessary.

Fair enough, you obviously know the regs better than I do.
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I have never put an extractor in a cupboard adjoining a room hoping it would vent the room itself so therefore cannot be of any help to you.
Sorry :(

If the fan is immediatly behind the cupboard door grille (ie about 3mm) then its hardly going to be able to suck any air from within the cupbaord anyway. BC would have to be pretty harsh not to accept it. TBH if all you're doing is refurbing the existing bog

a) if there's no fan before I don't think you need one after and

b) have you invited BC to approve the work? presumably not as there's sweet FA to approve, in which case

c) who gives a sh*t? You're worrying about nothing.

Either cut down door of cup,d to allow fixed fan at top section, or fit in ceiling and run ducting to exterior, should be fairly simple if it's such a smal room?

Probably going to go the fan in ceiling route. Simplifies cabling a bit too. Just 3+earth to and from isolator in cupboard. Might even just let fan vent into void under upstairs bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back