Inline Fan Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm just looking for a couple of opinions on a new inline bathroom fan installation. Ill be doing it (attempting it) myself.
My question relates to 'replacement' air whilst the fan is on.
There is no gap between the door and floor which I know will hinder the fans performance.
My plan is to install the fan vent directly above the shower (so this will lead to the fan in the loft and then ducted outside) and then also fitting another vent in the opposite corner of the room which will just be ducted to the loft.

My thought behind this is that when the fan is on, replacement air will come through the vent opposite the fan vent and that way the bathroom door can remain closed.

Can anyone see any flaws in this plan?

Quick side note on the electrics. I have been dithering on whether to have the fan come on with the light (no over run to make the wiring easier) or to have just an indendant on/off switch in the airing cupboard. The reason I say the airing cupboard is this is the easiest way to wire it in without having to chase walls etc - the wires can just be exposed up to the loft.
On one hand it's good to have the fan on whilst the light is on, meaning most the time the fan will always be on whilst someone is showering. But I like the idea of have a complete separate switch so the fan can be on with the lights off (summer time & also means lights can be turned off and fan turned off several minutes later, like a manual 'over run'.
My only doubt with the only switch for the fan being in the airing cupboard is it just seems a bit crude. A daft reason maybe?

Thoughts?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Can anyone see any flaws in this plan?

Air inlet should really be at floor level.

switch in the airing cupboard. The reason I say the airing cupboard is this is the easiest way to wire it in without having to chase walls etc

No, do it properly!

Vent from loft will introduce cold air , no room is air tight, better to let it just suck in from house .
Fan best running any time the room is occupied regardless of what time or year or day .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back