Boiler Cycling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently introduced a drayton wiser system to our upstairs circuit and that has been a great improvement. However, I am not sure if we are seeing boiler cycling as I have observed the boiler much more closely since making the change.

We have underfloor heating downstairs, radiators upstairs. The upstairs circuit is controlled by the wiser system.

A few months back we had the main heating pump replaced having noticed the upstairs heating was not working. The u/f heating has a separate pump so it appeared to continue working.

Watching the boiler this morning over a period of 20mins with a constant demand for heat from the u/f heating (no h/w, no upstairs demand) the boiler was only on for 445/1200s, with a typical pattern of 1m on, 2m off and repeat.

Is this typical behaviour for an older non-modulating boiler, it is an ideal classic se24ff?

TIA,

Sponsored Links
What is the make and model of boiler
If boiler is generating say 15Kw of heat and you are using around 3, boiler will shut down else water will turn to steam. When the water temperature is below set point, boiler fires. Short cycling takes place unless anti cycling delay built into the boiler and also made worst if burner is non modulating.

It is an ideal classic se24ff

I reran the test with everything on (u/f, h/w, upstairs) and it ran for 18/20mins so it looks like the boiler is producing too much heat when only a single circuit is active and because it is non-modulating its only choice is to stop/start...

Would turning the CH flow temperature down help reduce the amount of cycling?

Sponsored Links
It is an ideal classic se24ff

I reran the test with everything on (u/f, h/w, upstairs) and it ran for 18/20mins so it looks like the boiler is producing too much heat when only a single circuit is active and because it is non-modulating its only choice is to stop/start...
Correct. You may be able to reduce the boiler output (called range rating) because it's highly unlikely you'll have all the loads on and at full load for more than a few minutes each day. You'll need a registered gas fitter to do this legally.
Balancing the loads carefully may also help.
Would turning the CH flow temperature down help reduce the amount of cycling?
...but this would make it worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back