Boiler efficiency improvement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Everyone is feeling the pinch at the moment and I certainly count myself as one of them, so I have been looking into how efficiently I can get my boiler running, to hopefully shave a few quid off the gas bill this winter.

Some background information on my set up:

• I have a 15kw worcester condensing boiler (not sure if 'regular' or 'system'), installed in 2018 with an unvented hot water cylinder (no cold water tank), which is in the loft of my 1966 built bungalow. There only seems to be a an on/off switch and a generic low to high flow temperature dial, which is currently set about 60% of the way round.
• My partner is at home the majority of the day with our newborn, so the house needs to be an acceptable temp for them both.
• We generally only run the hot water for 30 mins per day for our baths/showers. Our tank thermostat is currently set to 65c. I have tried to turn that down slightly, but it seems as if even the slightly chance = cold showers.... not sure what is happening here.
• My loft is relatively well insulated, having just added an extra 170mm throughout, on top of the thin layer of yellow stuff that was already there.
• I have 10mm microbore pipes running to the radiators, none are insulated, as they are hard to access.

I have been watching a fair amount of youtube plumbers who offer various advice and it seems like lowering the flow temp is a good place to start, however I'm not sure that's wise with my setup due to legionella etc... Hot water currently comes out of the tap at about 51c. I'm not sure if I am able to heat my HW and CH to different temperatures? The radiator flow definitely seems to be hotter than necessary.

Can anyone offer any technical amendments/changes I can make, let me know anything I'm doing wrong, or anything I could instruct a plumber to do for me at little cost to get my system working as efficiently as possible please?

thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back