Boiler Engineer voided my boiler cover - Please help

Sponsored Links
I've tried to follow this thread, but it's difficult.

Having a baby does not alter the facts surrounding your boiler being cut off from the gas supply. The counter argument will be that the fitter had your baby's safety in mind when he took those actions.

Hard water in Blackpool? I don't think so. Was 'hard water' quoted on the fitter's paperwork, a copy of which would have been left with you? If it does then phone up the water company and ask them for the ACTUAL hardness value of the water supplied to your gaff, and would that level of 'hardness' cause scale to precipitate out? That's real evidence that a court will accept and will support your (so far) unsupported claims that the gas fitter cut you off out of spite.
It seems like you are going into court armed only with some vague (and unsubstantiated claims so far) that the fitter 'had it in for you'. If you're going to take that route then gather evidence to support each and every one of your claims. You have not mentioned the specific 'charges' you have made in your witness statement, though I suspect they are to do with claiming the cost of the replacement boiler or similar. A court will not allow 'new for old' claims, so be prepared (even if you win) for a big reduction in your award....they'll be told by the other side that a boiler has a lifespan of about 10 years...how old was yours? If it was 9 years old you may get only 10% of your proven expenditure.

Do you have evidence (a report by someone with expertese in that area) that the 'blocked' heat exchanger was in fact not blocked? Did they refer to the primary or secondary heat exchanger? ...BTW I still don't think you've given us the model of the old boiler...
Did the fitter do a gas tightness test following his work? Is it on the CCTV system that you mentioned? All this is an attempt to discredit the gas fitter, after which you can explain to the court how (SSE? Scottish Power?) fell short of their responsibilities by refusing or avoiding sending an alternative fitter, and taking into account that it may all have happened during 2020 and Covid, so they would have had much more difficulty getting anyone out to your boiler.

All told, I wish you luck. Given what appears to be your poor preparation and reliance on your own opinion I'd say it was a win if you break even on the court costs alone. Any decent opposition representation should easily pull your case to pieces from what I've read so far in this thread. That doesn't make it right, but it will make you one step nearer to the realisation that courts are not there to give justice, they're there to interpret the law (for good or for bad).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back