Boiler exhaust vent positioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
P1000595.jpg

Ok here's the deal. My house is the one on the right (the one that has been sandblasted). House next door has been gutted and done up (but not the brickwork obviously), sold and new owners have been in for about 6 weeks. Their new combi boiler has been fitted in the kitchen and you can just see the black exhaust vent between the two downstairs windows. Now my question is, can they legally have it that close to my property? The upstairs window on the right is my 3 year old daughter's bedroom and I'm a bit concerned about any fumes that will enter the room when the window is open. The exhaust is about 1 foot into the neighbours wall and about 4 feet away from the opening of my daughter's bedroom window. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Firstly don`t worry about the fumes it is only water vapour and co2 both harmles but a nuisance.. It must be 300m from what is the centre line of where the properties join so if you have a 12 inch party wall that takes up 150mm straight away so another 150mm into his property would make it ok

This diagram may help to explain what Namsag means

condblrflue.jpg

Looking at your photo the terminal would appear to be too close to your property. Ask your neighbour if they have a copy of the CORGI installation certificate. ;)

Thanks for the replies. giblets, if the terminal can be no less than 300mm from my property, yes it might require moving a few inches to make it 300mm. However, that would serve no real purpose - what I'm concerned about is the distance to my daughter's bedroom window. If it's legal and nothing to worry about, then fine, but if there's a risk from those fumes and the exhaust is incorrectly fitted, then I'm gonna want it shifting.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. giblets, if the terminal can be no less than 300mm from my property, yes it might require moving a few inches to make it 300mm. However, that would serve no real purpose - what I'm concerned about is the distance to my daughter's bedroom window. If it's legal and nothing to worry about, then fine, but if there's a risk from those fumes and the exhaust is incorrectly fitted, then I'm gonna want it shifting.

Technically speaking, if the flue has been fitted in contravention of the Manufacturer's Instructions (i.e. if they specifically mention the distance of 300mm from a boundary) and Building Regulations then it has been illegally fitted. That's why I asked if £ORGI have issued a certificate showing compliance with ALL regulations. (TBH that last bit was more a dig at the Gas Work Notifcation scheme than your problem but I do like to make the point when I can :LOL: ) Always assuming the job was notified in the first place!

The products of combustion (as namsag said water vapour & CO2) in the form of a plume of vapour are also not allowed to cause a nuisance which would appear to be the case here as you are concerned about it. ;)

It is possible to get plume diversion kits for most boilers which allow the PoC to be discharged at a different position whilst allowing the boiler to remain in it's existing location.

If it is 300mm away from boundary, did you have some of your neighbours bricks sandblasted as well?

The sandblasting was done before I bought the house. Yes the cleaning has gone onto their house a bit. I was just wondering if there was a minimum distance that you had to observe when siting the exhaust around windows.

If we assume that the boundary is equidistant from the two windows, the flue would be approximately 100 mm away, clearly too close to you.
SUE THEM!!!!
Or, if you are more practical, go see them and tell them it annoys the shiyte our of you and ask them to stick a plume diverter on. It is only the sight, no risk at all according to building regs

As long as it conforms to giblets diagram and is >=300mm from any opening window then it meets flue regs.

Nuisance pluming is a different issue though.

Flue looks like a Baxi so a plume kit is avialable at approx £80 . flue outlet could then be angled up more into his property

Looks too close but I doubt it'll bother you.
If it does you can go right up to or above the gutter with a plume diverting kit.
This is a Glowworm kit but typical:
GWPlumemanagementkit.gif

Thanks for all the info chaps. If I can repay with any tiling info just visit the tiling section. Merry Christmas. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back