Creative ways to minimise combi boiler exhaust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My neighbour is complaining about the steam/vapour generated by my combi boiler during the winter. I want to keep her happy, but the only method I can see working is to run an exhaust extension across my house (crossing a tall window).

I am wondering if there are any other creative things that can be done. I was thinking of venting the exhaust up into a rectangular air vent (like this: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FD60910.html) and having 30 or more 25mm holes in it to allow the gas and air to escape. This would have two benefits, it would look better, and diffuse the vapour over a greater area thus reducing the impact of the vapour cloud.

Of course I would need to ensure that the material doesn't melt from the heat and that the exhaust is not restricted in terms of exhaust gas flow.

Does anyone know of any official pipes similar to what I am describing? What sort of temperatures can I expect these pipes to get to?

Thx in advance.

Jon

Sponsored Links
your idea is terrible and you are not permitted to make your own flue.

you can run a flue extension sideways, but you can also run it vertically, like a chimney or a drainpipe, so that the steam blows out at about gutter or roof level.

You boiler manufacturer will specify how long the flue can be (bends and angles reduce the permissible length).

An extended flue should be run outside the house. If inside, you will have to incorporate inspection and maintenance access in case of fumes or condensate leakage.

Absolutely do not do what you have suggested, you'll cause exhaust gases to mix with the incoming air; causing incomplete combustion and LOTS of carbon monoxide!

Many boiler outlet plumes can be redirected with a "plume management kit" but this is not something you are legally allowed to fit yourself.

Make and model of your boiler would help.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

My neighbour is complaining about the steam/vapour generated by my combi boiler during the winter. I want to keep her happy, but the only method I can see working is to run an exhaust extension across my house (crossing a tall window).

I am wondering if there are any other creative things that can be done. I was thinking of venting the exhaust up into a rectangular air vent (like this: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FD60910.html) and having 30 or more 25mm holes in it to allow the gas and air to escape. This would have two benefits, it would look better, and diffuse the vapour over a greater area thus reducing the impact of the vapour cloud.

Of course I would need to ensure that the material doesn't melt from the heat and that the exhaust is not restricted in terms of exhaust gas flow.

Does anyone know of any official pipes similar to what I am describing? What sort of temperatures can I expect these pipes to get to?

Thx in advance.

Jon

just fill the flue with expanding foam....that'll solve it!

Well there goes that idea. Best speak to my boiler maintenance man to see what he can do.

Tell us the boiler make and model and put up a photo of the flue and then we will know what is possible.

Tony

The boiler is a Worcester Bosch 25cdi. Here is an image of the back of the house.
. It is probably worth mentioning that directly above this picture is a balcony, so running the flu upwards beyond the top of the picture is not an option. I could run the flu up a little and across the house, but is going to look rather ugly.

Is it an option to get a 45 degree bend rather than a 90 degree just before the end of the flu so that the plume blows into my garden rather than next door? e.g. http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/worcester-60mm-plume-management-45deg-bend--pair--7716191089/

Are there more horizontal end terminations that push the plume sideways and away from the house?

The issue for my neighbour is that the house backs onto the River and we have lovely views from the 1st floor. These are somewhat marred by plumes of vapour in the winter.

Thanks,

Jon

Apologies for the mess at the back of the house. I am in the throws of renovations so cleaning the outside of the house is not a priority.[/url]

stand back a lot and take a much wider photo that shows the whole house.

You already have a plume management kit on there, though I'm not sure how much good its really doing! Not sure how much better it's going to be depending on wind direction etc but yes you could in theory get rid of the two current 90 degree bends and put a single 45 followed by the end piece. Or if you have the original end part of the terminal the plume kit could be removed and this replaced and angled toward your house at 45 degrees anyway (it would be slightly upwards too).

You can just rotate the LAST elbow so it points up about 45 degrees.

That should prevent any complaints from any reasonable person!

Tony

You can just rotate the LAST elbow so it points up about 45 degrees.

That should prevent any complaints from any reasonable person!

Tony

I would normally agree, but this is the view from the living room on the 1st floor (just above the heating pipe).

In this case down is preferable to up, except that I don't want acidic water dripping onto my patio!

The plume kit is fitted incorrectly anyway on a Worcester you
Shouldn't cut or remove the pipe between the elbows so that needs fixing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back