Separate vent needed for Balanced Flue Boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am refitting my kitchen and there is a drafty vent next to my boiler. The boiler is a balanced flue type, my understanding of this is the air intake and exhaust gases are delivered through the same flue on the back of the boiler.

Old conventional boilers had a seperate system which relied on a vent near the boiler for air intake and had a seperate flue for expelling gases.

Is this correct? And getting round to my question, can I simply block up the old vent next to the boiler?

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
If it is a true B/F boiler then no air vent will be needed for the boilers combustion process.

If the boiler was in a cupboard it may be one of 2 vents that were needed for compartment ventilation, which if it is not now being put in a cupboard will also no longer be needed.

Is it a small kitchen with no opening window or door to outside? If so it could be needed for a gas cooker or hob for ventilation.

Thanks for that Dave, very helpful. There was in fact a gas cooker installed directly below the vent, maybe it was for this?

I have knocked the wall down opening the kitchen up into the diningroom, re-sited the electric cooker and have installed an overhead extraction(to outside) hood over the gas hob. There is also two doors and three opening windows into the room along with an archway into the sitting room where there is another door and set of windows.. sounds like this is sufficient ventilation and I can block the vent up ok?!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back