Venting flue and extractor fans to chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My boilers flue currently vents out into my backyard into a place near windows that we try to use to get fresh air into the house.

This often means that opening a window to let fresh air in isn't an option, especially in the winter when the central heating is on a lot of the time.

I would like to vent the boiler up to the disused rear chimney instead, which would eliminate the problem and please the neighbors to as the current flue is aimed directly at their house. Also, if possible, I would like to vent the kitchen extractor and bathroom extractor fans to the same place where the waste gases shouldn't cause much bother..

Do you think this would be possible ? Here is a video of the boiler, kitchen extractor fan, bathroom, backyard, existing flue and chimney:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2YzdyRfl4U

Sponsored Links
The short answer is no!

For a whole list of reasons.

Just a few:

The boiler flue is also the air intake for the boiler
Discharging combustion products into a space shared by your kitchen & bathroom extractors is likely to result your kitchen and bathroom being filled lethal gases.
The vapour in the flue gases would condense in the chimney and give you major problems
There are a whole host of technical reasons why you can't do what you propose but these should give you enough to be going on with.

Might be worth investigating a plume deflector (fitted by GasSafe registered fitter) to reduce the issues you have with the existing flue.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBF
The plume diverter could be extended so that it discharges over the flat roof and not towards your yard and the neighbour!

But this should be done by a gas reg engineer!

Tony

• Thanks
Reactions: CBF
Ok, so I can probably live with the kitchen and extractor fans venting out into the yard. But the boiler flue venting there is a very worrying problem for me. You say deadly gases come out of it, so with the kitchen or upstairs bedroom window open, wouldn't those poisonous gases get into the house ?

The problem is actually double because the neighbors flue vents into the same place (see video 1m 11s) and there is often big clouds of vapour coming out of it / i am not sure their boiler is working very well.

I wasn't necessarily thinking of venting ours inside our chimney, perhaps just to the same place high up on the roof, i.e maybe the plume diversion kit could be attached to the chimney somehow? I think the top of the kitchen roof is still too close to mine and the neighbors windows as the exhaust gases generally rise upwards.

Sponsored Links
you will see vapour coming out of a modern boiler, thats why RGI's call them steamers, plus there will be alot less "dangerious gases" coming out of one compaired to an old one, it's just with an old one you couldn't see the poc's, you have already been given the answer to your prob by Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back