Boiler fires up for 2 mins. Then switches off. Please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Great site, hope somebody can suggest a remedy for my problem. Sorry this is a bit long winded, just thought if I give all the facts, it might help.

I have an old gas boiler, GLOW-WORM 52B SUPER.
It\\\'s been in the house approx 28 years and given us very few problems untill recently.

Basically, when I switch on the heating the boiler fires up for just a few minutes and then switches off. So I get no heating and no hot water This has been an intermittent fault for the last couple of years.

Normally after I keep trying the heating for several day's the boiler eventually fires up and stays on. The longest period it has taken to basically correct itself is 3 days. But now it has failed to stay on for the last week. So I think the fault has finally become permanent instead of intermitent.

The boiler seams to work fine during the summer when I only need hot water, but it is when I set it for heating and hot water that the problem occurs. When the problem does occur, I can't even go back to just heating the water, as it won't work at all.

I have had the boiler serviced each year, and whenever I called out the engineer to the problem, he could not find a problem as it always fired up when he arrived. He said an intermitent fault is very hard to find, and that there was more chance in finding the problem when it became permanent.

Now that it is permanent, he has retired and moved away. And with all the story's you hear about cowboys, I am very reluctant to call somebody out only to be ripped off.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

Jed
ps forgot to say, in the past when the problem occured and then corrected itself after a day or two, the heating would work fine for two or three months, before the fault would re-occur again.

Sponsored Links
atwitsend said:
And with all the story's you hear about cowboys, I am very reluctant to call somebody out only to be ripped off.

but you dont hear of all the people who were not ripped off. so, just because someone got ripped off doesnt everyone will rip you off

Yes Andy, that is true. But I have the problem of not knowing who is honest and reliable, and who isn't. This can only be judged after the event, and by then it could be too late.
I am sorry to say I have been ripped off in other areas on a couple of occasions, and although I realise that the oppotunist's are in the minority, it still worries me.

It's often good to ask friends and neighbours for a local tradesman that they have confidence in. You can reassure yourself by having a crafty look at his work and asking what he charged them.

Sponsored Links
The problem doesnt sound like your boiler. Check the pump or motorised valve (if its a fully pumped system) the external controls could be at fault. If the boilers coming on it will turn off on boiler stat and stay off untill the heat goes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back