Noisy combi boiler - please help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Worcester Heatslave Highflow 3.5 combination boiler. It is about 12 or 13 years old and seems to work ok (hot water could be a bit hotter).

My problem is when the boiler is heating hot water (ie when running a tap) it makes a continuous groaning and sometimes screaming noise. The problem only occurs when drawing off hot water. The central heating function makes no noise when heating.

I called out my local central heating Engineer who thought it was a faulty thermostat in the hot water heater. He replaced the thermostat but it still makes a noise. He initally thought it was the heat exchanger, but when I told him the problem did not occur with the central heating he dismissed that idea.

What can the problem be?

Please help - it's driving me mad! :evil:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I dont see how anyone could expect a thermostat to cause that. It sounds as if he just wanted to do something quick to charge you. As he did not fix it I would question if you should have paid him!

It sounds more likely to be scaling or sludge causing kettling but its difficult to guess without hearing it. That might explain the poor hot water performance.

The boiler output on central heating will be lower so the operating conditions will be completely different.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back