Boiler firing but no hot water to CH or taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our boiler fires up (flame visible) but is not pumping out any hot water (CH or to the taps/tank).

Maybe it's coincidental but the immersion heater trips the RCD as soon as it is switched on.

The boiler is an Ideal.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How can I tell if it is the pump? It's not making any strange noises. Is there anything I can do to 'jump start' it if it is stuck?

Turn it off, open large screw in the middle (use a large flat screwdriver) then put a small screwdriver inside to see if the rotars free. Use a towel under pump because it will spill a bit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for helping Gigz. Just checked the pump (Wilo Gold 60) and all seems fine. Free motion when turned with a screwdriver and running when the system is on.

By the way, the pump is set to number 2. Changing the speed has the desired effect (speeding or slowing). Would it be worth running the system on 1 or 3 for a while?

Can anyone shed some light onto this please?

Well the boiler cannot be firing for very long if there is no heat to CH or the HWC.

Trace the heat from the boilers primary flow and post back as to where it goes cold.

No hot water is leaving the boiler at all.

There were issues with the boiler not igniting first time some months ago but it sorted itself out although recently occasionally it would take a few attempts to spark.

Is there a frost stat on system, is it cold where you live, what part of house is boiler installed. A frost stat should also statrt pump if its wired correctly, stabbing in the dark with this one at moment. Is it the full flame you can see or just the initial pilot/start flame, is the fan running as well, more i think about it, you do need to call an rgi not a diy problem.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

It's not particularyly cold here (Rugby, Warks).

AFAIK, the pump is fine, can 'feel' the water running through the system. Just had another look and it seems like it's only the starter flame I can see, so maybe that is where the problem lies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back