Boiler firing on cold water demand.

Fitted on the cold feed into the boiler an NRV would prevent water flowing backwards through the flow sensor and false triggering the boiler to fire up.
More relevant, it would prevent reverse flow when drawing cold water upstream of the boiler, keeping the hot water (and air in the dead legs) at the higher static pressure. Thus, when the cold draw-off ceases and the lower dynamic pressure rises to the higher static pressure there is no forward flow through the boiler to compress the air trapped in the dead-legs.

MM

Sponsored Links
Fitted on the cold feed into the boiler an NRV would prevent water flowing backwards through the flow sensor and false triggering the boiler to fire up.
True, I realised that, andt it would actually limit the problem more than I expected.
However I was thinking about when you turn the cold tap off the water hammer would increase the pressure in the dead leg and compress it more. So the forward flow would trigger the boiler as the air was compressed

More relevant, it would prevent reverse flow when drawing cold water upstream of the boiler, keeping the hot water (and air in the dead legs) at the higher static pressure. Thus, when the cold draw-off ceases and the lower dynamic pressure rises to the higher static pressure there is no forward flow through the boiler to compress the air trapped in the dead-legs.

MM
Agreed! So you're right it would only be if the water hammer pressure from the cold shutoff is greater than the previous hot shutoff. IE you turn off the hot gently, then later turn off the cold more quickly

Sponsored Links
so happy your diy assisted install is now complete :sneaky:
Haha. To be honest I was impressed with the work the installer did, there was a lot of pipework re-routing involved and they did and very neat and tidy job. They did miss a couple of the basics though, a few radiators in the further parts of the house didn't get bled when the system was refilled and this pipework in question as well.

I suppose this is where attention to detail matters!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back