Combi cutting out when cold tap closed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Worcester Bosch 35 CDI RSF II combi boiler and it's functioned well for years.

We have a problem where if a hot tap is running, be it bath, shower or tap and a cold tap runs quickly and is closed abruptly such as by closing the tap quickly or if a washing machine or dishwasher turns off the intake then the demand for hot water disappears very briefly and the flame goes out.

It takes about 7 seconds for it to reignite which means that the hot shower runs cold/cooler for a few seconds.

If the cold tap is closed slowly then it's not a problem.

Presumably there is a brief drop in pressure to the combi boiler intake when this happens.

I've searched the archives and noticed that air in the system in dead legs can cause the boiler to start up, is this a possible cause for my issue too? That said I can't think of there being any dead legs or any other places that air could collect.

Do the pressure switches have any form of damping in them that could have worn over time?

I can't say for sure but I think the problem either started or became more noticeable when a bathroom was refurbed a large amount of old piping was removed as it went all around a room when it no longer needed due to a boiler location change years ago.

Any thoughts on what the issue is likely to be?

Sponsored Links
Check the diaphragm and micro switch on the diverter valve.

There is a pin on the diverter valve which comes out when hot water is on, this pin is pushing the micro switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back