Boiler Flue Size

Some manufacturers include car ports in their instructions about the location of a flue terminal. To me that balcony is similar to a small car port when considering flue gas dispersal.

WB flue dims.jpg WB flue sketch.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the great replies, I'll have a word with the makers and see what they think.

Is the law that you can't have flues below canopies or is it that the height between the flue and the top of the canopy has to be a minimum height? Are there any building regs that I could refer to?

Andy, as has been said... The Manufacturer and Gas Safe are the regulations that rule over all else!

The MIs will tell you what is permitted for an individual install but as there are so many flues terminating under a single, shared canopy then it may be something that Gas Safe AND the manufacturer needs to discuss and agree upon.

Here are the MIs regarding flue terminating and siting for the Ecotech 624 for you to peruse...

image.png

image.png

The critical issue is the fact that the glass canopy encloses the air and appears to be closed at at least one end.

You will see that the Vaillant guide assumes open ends, which will allow combustion products to disperse.

If using vaillant boiler, can't the flume management kit be use? Sited the flue as normal and use the flume kit to take the FOC toward to the front of canopy?

Just an idea...

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
You would have to satisfy yourself that the air inlet would not be vitiated by all the other flues.

You could test the area with an analyser but the results would only be valid that day. Different temperatures and winds could make the readings very different.

I would walk away from this one. The fact the the local authority signed it off rings alarm bells, wouldn't trust their techy people to tell me the time.

If using vaillant boiler, can't the flume management kit be use? Sited the flue as normal and use the flume kit to take the FOC toward to the front of canopy?

Just an idea...

Daniel.
Vaillant refer to it as a "variable terminal kit" as opposed to a "plume management kit"...a big difference with regard to flaunting the regs...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back