Retractable awning on back of house (with a gas boiler flue in the way)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have looked on the net and can find hardly any reference to the above situation.

Can see car ports and fixed canopies, which both present their limitations, but a friend would like a retractable canopy and I said I'd try to find out more regarding its permissibility.

The canopy would be fixed to the back wall and the flue from the boiler (a newish, Potterton Promax heat only condenser boiler fitted on the back wall in the kitchen) would be around 500mm down and a similar distance from the edge of the awning.

Anyone point me to the relevant regs? Can't see any mention of awnings when I looked at the boiler installation instructions (only a reference to car ports).

If it WAS a car port there would be a problem insofar as the flue is sited about 400mm to side of a window and the instructions say a minimum 1200mm from an opening window.

Ta muchly.

Sponsored Links
In terms of the movement of air and fumes what is the difference between a car port and an awning ?

I would treat it as a car port - it's essentially the same thing. Only variation would be if there was a microswitch on the awning linked to the boiler, which killed the power to the boiler as soon as the awning begins to open.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back