Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are my options here:
IMG_20201214_113230419.jpg

IMG_20201214_113253192.jpg

IMG_20201214_113327487.jpg

IMG_20201214_122329948_BURST000_COVER.jpg

I'm planning a polycarbonate roof between the 2 walls, following the line of the parapet wall, so there will be an open section of about 300mm high between right hand wall and roof, left hand wall plate will be 600mm above flue, the roof will be 5m long and open at the back end.

According to the MI's I only need 200m between carport roof and flue but I'm not convinced it's technically a car port (it's open on one end, very partially open on one side). What do you think? I did think of having an open section of roof above the flue area with a flat canopy over but don't know if that would make a difference.
Alternatively I was considering a new vertical roof flue through the garage roof but the MI's seem to suggest it must terminate 600mm from the wall where the boiler is on the wall (although I'm sure I've seen plenty sticking through lean-to garages that don't) so it would probably interfer with the headroom it the garage.

It's an ideal classic HE (so a bit of steam comes out), there are no flume management options available but the roof flue kit can still be bought.

To preempt the obvious, my heating engineer would do any actual work.

Also, as I was reading the MI's, I did wonder if I would fall foul of item 10 as the door from my carport to my garage will lead to my door from garage to house (1.8m away to the right of the boiler)? The new vertical window on the left will be a fixed pane.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I seem to recall the drawing of a car port showed the flue coming directly out of the wall at right angles , not firing along the carport and specified it should be open at both ends.:(

I would ask the gas engineer extend the flue up clear of the roof.
Anyway all that damp in a semi confined space may be worse for the car than no port at all.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I did think it might struggle to be a carport and I was worried about the acid (it's actually to keep our caravan under).

I was surprised to see that you can buy (or they can sell) what appears to be a universal plume kit in this day and age, however, while looking at them I did find there is actually one made for my boiler by Ideal - but it does seem to open another can of worms about different air pressure zones if we were to stick the end of it through the roof!
I'll see what the engineer thinks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back