Boiler flue location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening everyone!
We are planning to move our boiler (registered gas safe plumber will be doing the work, not us).
I am just wanting to see peoples thoughts on the boiler flue.
I have attached a quick screenshot from the Architects plans below. We are wanting to move the boiler into the cupboard just around the corner from where it is now.
Best case scenario is to put the flue straight out the back but, it is just over 400mm from an opening window.
The boiler is an ATAG 28kw combi boiler.
From what I understand, a 28kw needs to be 600mm away from an opening window?
Is there any way that we can make this work?
Thanks!

full

Sponsored Links
Flue sideways.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that we didn’t want to put the flue out of the same wall that the doors are on. It is getting clad so we were tying to keep it completely clear and hide the flue around the corner

Well, the architect's plans should show something that works with the flue at the required minimum distance from an opening window !

Sponsored Links
You'd think wouldn't you?

upload_2019-1-23_22-7-22.png

Tens of thousands of pounds were spent on the drawings for this job and general spec These boilers are in a basement, with no provision for any flues whatsoever.

We are planning to move our boiler (registered gas safe plumber will be doing the work, not us).
Has the gas installer visited and seen the proposed changes,if so what was the recommendation ?.
I’m going to ring the architect today to see what he says.
Be better off contacting your gas installer :D

Tbh,if it was my property i would not want to see my plume from any of my windows. can the boiler be relocated elsewhere :?:

Has the gas installer visited and seen the proposed changes,if so what was the recommendation ?.

He hasn’t only been round to sort a few bits before the main work started. We spoke to him about it at the time but not in depth. He should be getting in touch with me tomorrow.... hopefully.

Be better off contacting your gas installer :D

Tbh,if it was my property i would not want to see my plume from any of my windows. can the boiler be relocated elsewhere :?:

Yeah fair point. Well I spoke to the architect today who basically just told me that he gasbag always worked to 300mm and for something like this, the plumber should be able to sort something. He did mention maybe using a plume divertor? To either go out and up or point it away from the window. Which sounds like what I linked to earlier?

He did say that the worst case scenario would be to take the flue out of the back wall but I’m really don’t want to do that

Bldg regs approved document J ,page 49 diagram 34 and table, minimum distance from edge of flue to opening window is 300mm if fan assisted balanced flue, 600mm for natural draught bal flue over 14kw. Is your boiler fan assisted balanced flue ?

'from your drawings the distance is min 300mm, yours is a fan flued boiler ' - it should be a fan assisted flue when drawn at that distance from the opening window but that doesn't mean it is ! Azoo needs to check that.

'from your drawings the distance is min 300mm, yours is a fan flued boiler ' - it should be a fan assisted flue when drawn at that distance from the opening window but that doesn't mean it is ! Azoo needs to check that.
Its an Atag 28 KW combi boiler , they dont do anything else other than fanned flue

'Its an Atag 28 KW combi boiler , they dont do anything else other than fanned flue ' - fair enough. ( thought you were saying it must be because it was drawn that way )

'Its an Atag 28 KW combi boiler , they dont do anything else other than fanned flue ' - fair enough. ( thought you were saying it must be because it was drawn that way )
if it was balanced flued it couldnt be moved as you cant buy balanced flues any more, couldnt be OF going through the wall like that , could only be concentric fanned flue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back