Boiler for loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I’m looking to get a dormer loft conversion in my 3bed semi. There will be one bedroom and shower room in the loft, and 13 rads in total . My current Viessmann 200w system boiler, H/W cylinder and cold water attic tank will be coming out.

I’ve got used to the low pressure / avg flow rate. So what type of replacement boiler or type of system should I be looking at for something similar in the loft? Combi storage boiler, normal combi? I will get the lead main pipe upgraded to MDPE pipe. BTW: wife likes the idea having more space in 1st floor bathroom with no H/W cylinder in airing cupboard.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
This topic has been done to death a few times, search in this forum for combi or system and you'll find a lot of discussions.
Precis- there's no such thing as a free lunch. If mains pressure/flow is poor a combi will perform badly, your better solution will be stick with cylinder & fit shower pump(s). Most combis won't deliver enough hot water for 2 simultaneous showers. You can have a hybrid solution (combi and dhw cylinder). You could have 1 electric shower and one combi shower (tho the electric will be a poor experience compared with the combi).

if I stick to cylinder with shower pumps won’t that mean keeping the cold water tank in the loft?

if I stick to cylinder with shower pumps won’t that mean keeping the cold water tank in the loft?

You could move forward into the 1990's and get an unvented cylinder, and throw away your cold tank, pump and your electric shower.

What's wrong with your current boiler?

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with it, but need to remove the cold water tank from the attic, so I assume it won’t be usable ? Is that valid assumption? Also it’s 26kw, not sure if that would be sufficient going forward

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with it, but need to remove the cold water tank from the attic, so I assume it won’t be usable ? Is that valid assumption? Also it’s 26kw, not sure if that would be sufficient going forward
More likely to be massively oversized. My 1970s 4 bed semi runs quite happily on 11kW (heat loss is actually 9.5kW), and presumably with your loft conversion you'll be improving insulation levels over what you have now. As a very rough rule of thumb in most houses you need 1kW per radiator, so 13kW in your case once the conversion is complete.

As others have said, look at the possibility of having an unvented cylinder installed, which doesn't require a loft tank. You have an excellent boiler and I wouldn't rush to change it

Ok, thx everyone, will take a look. An unvented cylinder can be placed on any floor, and hooked with pump ? (the ground floor has most space)

Last edited:
Unvented can't be pumped on outlets.
It can be fed by a whole house pump/accumulator setup if incoming mains is really poor. Get your water supplier to test flow and pressure at their meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back